Wednesday, October 1, 2008

End of FY 07-08

I haven't blogged in a while. As today's the end of the fiscal year and the U.S. government accepts heaps of refugees at the end of the fiscal year (in order to attempt and meet the quotas they set for themselves the previous October) which means we have been SWAMPED. I have been on a dead run for the past two weeks! I honestly don't even want to blog about it, it's been so stressful! But, of course, through it all I still love my work. I just do not enjoy being as rushed as I've been with clients. I very much enjoy building relationships with my them(which I feel is really important) but haven't had adequate time. The good news is the fiscal year ends today and we (and all other resettlement agencies) have to wait until the President signs next year's resettlement budget/quota before we get new cases(hooray! catch up time!!!). It will be interesting to see the numbers and I will definitely report them here.

FYI

Last year's stats: 70,000 refugees were authorized by the US gov't to be resettled in the US...48,281 were actually resettled. A difference of -21,719.

Keep in mind there are 25 million refugees world-wide. (UNHCR estimate)

My concern is what will these numbers look like next year, in lieu of the current financial crisis. It's a scary time. Very scary. My parents have told me, however, that I should not worry! If worse comes to worse I can move up to their property in Idaho and farm land with them....ha....ha. Eish! Let's be honest, I'm grateful for that security (my parent's food storage and property) - for if I were to have to face it alone I could probably eat for about...2 weeks...tops! Anyway. Scary stuff.

Do I have a life outside of work??? Hahahahahaha...NO!

I bought a cat!!! She's adorable and wonderful and...well....so freaking cute! Her name is Muishka...which is Russian for Mouse. She's named after a most wonderful kitty cat I fell in love with at a backpackers in South Africa....and so far she's living up to her protege's spunkiness quite perfectly. :)

Well, that's all the update I have in me now. I promise to write more intelligent blogs in the future (I may be inheriting a laptop! yippy for internet at home!).

Oh! And don't forget to wish a happy Rosh Hashanah and Eid to all your Jewish and Muslim friends!

Oh x2! I'm turning on comment moderation. This is not because I don't want your comments - it's because I've opened my blog to all readers for easy accessibility for the internet challenged (love you, Mom!)...but yes. :)

Oh and everyone send love to Patrick. Just do it. Thanks! :)

1 comment:

becca said...

Even with comment moderation, I am still happy I get to read your blog. I never got invited when it was private and have really enjoyed catching up on your life.