I must start with a huge SHOUT OUT to everyone who commented on my last blog. I was so inspired to read all your comments. The momentum and passion behind them is motivational and quite honestly gave me some insight and perspective on the issue and has helped me decide clearly in my mind what behaviors I will and will not tolerate. Perhaps most importantly, in the words of Micheal Franti, "I know I'm not alone." I recognize that a lot of the problem lies within the workings of our society and societal change takes a lot more than a handful of dedicated people. That being said I will continue to refuse to tolerate such behavior and continue to call others out on it (diplomatically when necessary -- forcefully when not) when I see discrimination used against my sisters of this world. :)
9/11
I was composing this profound blog in my mind as I sat at the airport on this September 11th, 2008 waiting for my client's plane. Most of those ideas have left me, but before too much time has passed allow me to attempt to get these thoughts down.
I was simply struck by the irony of what 9/11/08 would hold for me. I had a new arrival that I was to collect that day and spent the morning prepping for it. This new arrival happened to be a husband and wife from Iraq. Refugees uprooted by a war that started more or less because of the justification 9/11 gave the administration of our government. A war that, in my educated opinion, is and was senseless. Rooted in lies and deceit (which, I realize is the nature of war in general). However, as the lies our nation was fed have come to light, as it has become increasingly more popular to oppose the war, as we rise up in protest shouting slogans to bring our troops home -- we seem to forget to remember the other side of the story.
As a caveat: I do not insinuate that the Saddam government was a good one. The genocide that Saddam enacted against the Kurdish people in the 1980s is horrific. However, the method and deceit that was used to "bring him down" was completely unethical and morally WRONG.
Let us focus for a minute on the impact this war has had. Not on the American people but on the IRAQI people.
I pondered these things while sitting on the tiled floor of Salt Lake International last Thursday. In my work I deal with several Iraqis on a daily basis. As their language improves they are able to communicate stories to me that are heart wrenching and deplorable. (These stories mirror the stories I heard FOUR years ago in the refugee camp I worked in in Moscow which first turned me off to the war...and still nobody with the power to do anything seems to be listening)
All too often we forget to remember the human cost of this war. Not just on Americans, but Iraqi children whose lives have been destroyed. Iraqi men who have faced torture from other Iraqis...and from Americans. Women and children whose husbands and fathers have been brutally murdered before their eyes. These and other stories are what my clients relay to me in broken English. "May I tell you about the day my brother was shot in the neck while I was driving him to the hospital?" "See this scar here...this is from the torture I received..."
So, I sat on that floor this 9/11 and watched a CNN newsreel that showed Americans over the nation commemorating that tragic, horrible day in US history. (I'm always moved to tears when I think about 9/11 and the lives that were lost. The terror I felt as a 17 year old high school senior.) But, I wished for one moment that we, as a nation, could commemorate those who, due to the actions for our government, have suffered a, perhaps, harsher price for those acts of terrorism that they had nothing to do with. I wish Americans, with their freedom of speech, would speak for those who cannot be heard otherwise. 'Yell Fire' for the Iraqi people. Scream it.
These thoughts and others filled my mind as the irony of my 9/11/08 hit me. What is it that they say, I give men their weakness that they may be humble? There is great strength in humility and empathy. I feel strongly that these are traits that all truly great leaders must embody. Do ours? I'd argue no, no they certainly do not. To again quote Franti, "and so it goes on and on and on and on and on. For a thousand years my friend. Will anger dry our tears?"
Just today 9/14/08 1 US soldier was killed, 17 Iraqis killed; and 27 Iraqi civilians were injured. Click here to check out my sources.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"What is it that they say, I give men their weakness that they may be humble?"
'They' didn't say it, the Lord did:
Ether 12:27 "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”
You wrote: “There is great strength in humility and empathy. I feel strongly that these are traits that all truly great leaders must embody. Do ours?”
Moses was the most humble man on the earth of his time:
Numbers 12:3 “(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)”
As was Enoch:
Moses 6:31 “And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?”
Would either Moses or Enoch have been elected as a president of the United States? Is our process ‘set up’ to allow humble (i.e. teachable) people to rise to the top? I doubt it.
This was my point against Obama a while back in a comment – I feel he is too arrogant. Now I know that you, and Mystic, and Patrick, and, and, . . . disagree. But I have this ‘humbleness’ sensor in the corner of my eye (comes from years of living) and when I see Obama I’m reading absolute zero. . Yes, -273 degrees K. ;-)
You wrote: “But, I wished for one moment that we, as a nation, could commemorate those who, due to the actions for our government, have suffered a, perhaps, harsher price for those acts of terrorism that they had nothing to do with. I wish Americans, with their freedom of speech, would speak for those who cannot be heard otherwise. 'Yell Fire' for the Iraqi people. Scream it.”
Amen to that.
But wouldn’t it be strange (and wonderful) if what we really needed to be is more humble, more teachable, more righteous, rather than more vocal. What if that was the ultimate solution. ‘To Stand’ for good, and not to bend, and not to break against an overwhelming tide of evil. To be armed with righteousness and the power of God.
1 Nephi 14
12 And it came to pass that I beheld the church of the Lamb of God, and its numbers were few, because of the wickedness and abominations of the whore who sat upon many waters; nevertheless, I beheld that the church of the Lamb, who were the saints of God, were also upon ball the face of the earth; and their dominions upon the face of the earth were small, because of the wickedness of the great whore whom I saw.
13 And it came to pass that I beheld that the great mother of abominations did gather together multitudes upon the face of all the earth, among all the nations of the Gentiles, to fight against the Lamb of God.
14 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.
But then again, I guess that is what you are saying to us (me). Stand! Take a Stand. Even if the odds are slim. The Lord has a way of making up the difference.
Amen! Powerful and humbling. "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Stand therefore..." (Ephesians 6:12, 14).
I'll stand with you!
Post a Comment