Week One at the IRC (international Rescue Committee) is underway! Yes, I realize I haven't blogged about getting this new job...see the sidebar to your right for further information. I'm SO HAPPY though!
I understand why my supervisor said, "this will be baptism by fire." She gave me a brief introduction to Case Managing yesterday (good thing I've worked with refugees before so I'm familiar with the lingo!)- and by brief I mean 45 minutes - gave me a tour of the office and said, "here's an interpreter who is an assistant Case Manager, GO!" And we were off. I didn't see my desk again until 5 pm! I spent the day in the 'field' visiting family after family after family. It was AMAZING! Just like Russia only most everything was conducted in English! I'm ridiculously happy about this job, what it entails and the people I'll be working with.
I've already discovered that the idea of a 40 hour work-week will NOT apply to me, and I'm salaried so...it doesn't matter all around! Today I'm working the traditional eight hours and then I'm picking up a family from Burma at the airport tonight at 11 pm, taking them to the staging hostel, orienting them, buying them food for 24 hours - driving home to sleep for about 3 hours before heading back in for a full-day tomorrow! WHAT THE?!?!?! Yeah, who am I kidding - I'm so happy to be so busy!
I am officially 'on my own' starting Friday, when I have 3 refugee families to orient and get through the weekend - all from Iraq! Very, very excited about this.
I'll blog some of the details and fun and interesting stories as the week progresses. Life is too exciting! I'm so blessed :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yippee!!! Sounds like a great and very rewarding opportunity. Can't wait to hear more about your work. :-)
Post a Comment