Saturday, June 21, 2008

'World Refugee Day' June 20, 2008

Message from Angelina Jolie, UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador

Those of you who know me well know of my passion for serving and working with refugees. In January of 2004, when I was 19 years old, I had an opportunity to live in Russia to teach English to Russian children. I jumped at the chance to experience a new life, culture, people. Once in Moscow I was, again, offered an opportunity to teach children...refugee children.

Me, in Moscow, UNHCR symposium. Dec 2005...

"Even geniuses may be refugees, Einstein was a refugee."

I fell in love with refugee work the first chilly January morning when I stepped inside Moscow's branch of the UNHCR (United Nation's High Commissioner for Refugees). I spent the day reading to a group of poor but incredibly excited children in a chilly, cement walled classroom. I took the metro home that day and sat there in the seats and began to shake. I knew, without a doubt, that I had just come upon something that would change my life forever - but I still didn't know exactly what it was or how I would fit into the picture.

Me, trudging along on the Russian ice...

Months passed and I spent every spare moment volunteering with a UNHCR backed NGO (non governmental organization) called Opora (Russian for 'support'). This NGO was created by a group of dedicated Afghan refugees to help ALL refugees stuck in the Moscow area. They had been awarded great success to that point. I began assisting in the school they had created, teaching English and art classes to Afghan orphans. I also spent my weekends working at a refugee camp located 2 hours north of Moscow, assisting them in establishing a library, teaching classes and, simply organizing games and parties for the children.

Zelonogradski Camp...

My personal contribution was small. The impact these people had on me was enormous. Upon begrudgingly returning to the states I continued my volunteering with Opora, holding many fundraisers and donation drives over the past four years. Together with the support of friends and family we have been able to permanently house 22 homeless refugees, procure coats and basic hygiene products for nearly 100 refugees, sponsor two refugee families to come to the USA and sponsor one young Afghan orphan's schooling and living expenses to ensure he remains in the Russian Federation (as he has been facing deportation to Afghanistan for two years now).

Clothing and housing the homeless...





Last Tuesday while I was at work my father received a call on our home phone.

"Hello? Is Dani Grims...Grigsz...G-Grisssby...is Dani there?"

My dad told the caller that I was not, could he take a message. The caller identified himself as my most wonderful friend (who, for obvious purposes, shall remain nameless) a refugee from Kabul, Afghanistan. I am two years his senior, but when I was in Moscow, I was his English teacher. He and I became very close friends as we shared one another's culture, histories and experiences. He would take me all over Moscow, showing me the Mosques. We'd sit for hours on end talking of God, religion, politics. When I returned to Moscow to conduct a Needs Assessment in 2006 I was able to spend even more time with my most amazing friend.

:)...

He and his family have been banned from Afghanistan since 2001. They have been stuck in Moscow (a less-than-friendly environment) for 7 years and finally, after thousands of letters, phone calls, interviews and hours of waiting he and his entire family have been granted ASYLUM in the UNITED STATES!

Family...

Let it be said that I, quite literally, FREAKED OUT when hearing this news. Burst into tears and broke into an overly ecstatic HAPPY dance.

He is the sixth very close refugee friend of mine who has received asylum in the States or Canada since my return. The happiness I feel for him and his family is quite literally beyond description.

My dearest friend and UNHCR worker/President of Opora, Geza...


So, in solidarity with the 25 million refugees world-wide I tell my friend's story to remind them (and the aid workers who assist them) that THERE IS HOPE. Change is slow, but it can happen. God bless you.

My 'brother,' the boy my parents and I (and others) are sponsoring...
He's in the upper left
center of this shot

2 comments:

Neil said...

Dani! This is such an amazing story! I am so impressed with all the amazing things you and Jason are doing to help people. I cant wait for you guys to get out here so we can catch up and talk about the future. I've recently been doing tons of research on applying for a UNHCR job, their application process for next year starts in July. I'm also debating getting a masters in Intl. Conflict Res. out here in DC first. Anyways, thank you for sharing that story! Cant wait to catch up.

belle la vie- Kristen Archer said...

Wow, I'm really impressed with your life experiences! I think that is so wonderful that you are out there doing what you love! It's awesome to hear about all of it on your blog! YAY!