Friday, June 13, 2008

Black Birds fly....

My life has become a whirlwind of work, exercise, study and sleep. Nothing terribly exciting has happened to shake up this incredibly "interesting" routine. That being said, most of my 'insightful' moments have come during my hour drive (each way) to Layton and back everyday.

I am living in my parent's spare room in their cute little house in Tremonton, Utah. Tremonton is situated between three (at least I think it's 3...maybe more...) bird sanctuaries - so we constantly have opportunities to observe some interesting winged creatures at work. Yesterday, while driving to Brigham City I observed a hawk circling the freeway - diving this way and that. At first I figured he was hunting, or riding the air currents, until my vehicle got close enough and I could see that the bird seemed to be attempting to out fly some pesky friends who were trying to 'stow-away' behind this fantastic hunter.

My dad, being a nature junkie, had told me about these pesky birds before (which after much research and question asking I have found them to be called, in this case, black birds - sorry Patrick, they are NOT called parakeets)...they will follow the hawk (or other bird of prey) around - hoping to steal some of its catch, or steal its eggs, etc.

What pests!

Well, me being the brilliant person I am (note: SARCASM), was able to make a simple parallel to that poor bird of prey, fighting so hard to stay air-born while - in all honesty- small, less powerful birds attempted to take it down, and myself...or all of us really.

Attempting to stay 'afloat' while we're plagued with challenges that constantly nip or bite at our heels...these black birds were relentless...as are the challenges or temptations that plague us in our human-ness. Let your guard down for a few minutes and you could be overtaken by the powers of nature whose main purpose in life is to bring about your destruction.

Sound a bit doomsday-ish? It's a reflection of my mood as of late. If I let my guard down, just sail with the wind instead of fight against the currents...my personal black birds will overcome me...and, I too will come crumbling to the earth.

This overwhelming sense of vulnerability has left me feeling like a shadow of myself, something bruised and weak.

However, fighting is in my makeup (see my mom, grandpa, father...) and in some ways I feel their warrior 'blood' coursing through my veins, reminding me that I have a several rounds left in me.

But, with that knowledge, I still can't shake the image of those little pesky birds flying just inches away from the hawk...just waiting for their chance to overcome.

***EDITOR'S NOTE: I am fairly certain I got the name of the birds correct...please fill in the correct names in your head if I didn't. My excuse: I have a degree in Political Science!!! But, I think you get the idea, nevertheless...

2 comments:

Pawley said...

You might be looking at this 'pesky little birds shadow a noble big bird' situation all wrong . . . see:

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/rwbb/Redwing_NeighborhoodWatch.html

-Dani said...

hahaha.

Well. Crap. That quite literally shoots my analogy right out of the sky...

Apparently I misunderstood who was bothering whom (I thought it was the black birds attacking the hawk to steal the hawk's babies...not the other way around...now that I think about it - duh!). I appreciate the clarification.

Try then:

We're all little cute innocent black birds trying to fend off the big scary crow/hawk?

I send out a formal apology to the winged black bird community for misunderstanding your cause.

Shame on you crows and hawks alike!

I'll do more research before posting analogies :).