Wednesday, March 12, 2008

'Sick Day'

I took a sick day today, not that I'm necessarily very ill (just the regular stomach problems) but I just needed a day to MYSELF! It seems strange that someone on the Peace Corps would need a day alone, but I certainly did.

I've spent the entire morning doing laundry (by hand of course) and it's quite the workout. It sure feels good to get ahead in some of my 'chores.'

I have a small story I wanted to tell...

The other day a rooster got its head stuck in a stray plastic bag that was blowing around out yard. The chicken began sqwaking and flapping its wings and running around blindly. It was pretty funny until it got itself nice and stuck in some desert underbrush. It then began tearing at the shrubbery and the bag and everything. A few people had stepped out of their homes to see what all the noise was (it was LOUD). I started to feel really bad for that blasted rooster even though it wakes me up at all hours of the night.

I went inside and grabbed some industrial cleaning gloves my grandpa had sent me, a pair of scissors and a stick. I slowly approached the tormented rooster. My gloved hands and instruments really interested the neighbors who, too, gathered closer to the stuck bird. I leaned over as far as I could and with one gloved hand I grabbed the rooster and the other I began to cut the bag from it's neck. It went wild flapping and sqwaking and scaring me to death! But, finally, it was free! It quickly ran away from me...but the neighbors kind of stared at me for a few seconds and then started laughing. So, yes, now I'm the strange white woman who frees retarded roosters from peril. :) hahaha. Maybe they'll stop getting mad at me when, instead of herding the goats, sheep or donkeys that wander through our yards I try to pet them! :)

Oh, and for the record, the 'Twilight' book about vampires was AWESOME! Wow! I read it in one day.

No comments: