Saturday, February 16, 2008

Two Worlds Unite

I must selfishly write the following for the meaning behind what happened is powerful, to me anyway.

I got a phone call today from a restricted number. I answered and heard an immense amount of static on the line and some unrecognizable voices. Pretty soon I realized just who was calling me from such a great distance...my MOST FAVORITE refugee family on the face of the planet! I met and fell in LOVE with this family when living in Moscow in 2004. When my father came over to visit toward the end of my stay he too met and fell in love with them. We then, as a family, have continued to plead their case with the various refugee aid agencies to assist in granting them second asylum in the United States. This finally happened last April in a whirlwind of events that brought countless numbers of prayers to fruition. That being said they now reside in Idaho, a mere 2.5 hour drive from my parent's home! And, they called me! It was just phenomenal to hear their voices. It is easy for me to get caught up in the everyday what-nots of life and forget my purpose, forget the ultimate goal I am striving for: to advocate for refugees. Moments like that, where I am reminded why I was so touched by the spirit of the refugee community, seem to bring clarity to the at times mundane day to day of reaching my goals.

Ke a leboga Modimo!

No comments: