Thursday, February 14, 2008

As requested...

...So my most awesome father has asked me to remember to write down the "little stuff" that happens on a day to day basis that is truly unique to Africa - but not necessarily earth shattering. So, I'll do my best to keep that promise! (As if people actually need to encourage me to talk...puh-lease!)

Happy Valentine's Day!
Today is Valentine's Day. I spent the day at Lekalake (my key school). I was sitting at my 'desk' thing and one of the little learners came up and whispered "Happy Valernshime's Daag (Afrikaans for day)!" I was so thrilled that this brave little girl would approach me and then try to speak to me in English I jumped up and gave her a hi-five! "Ke a leboga sisi (thank you my sister)!! Happy Valentine's Day le nna (to you)!" She ran off giggling.

A few moments later she returned with one of her friends. They whispered in the corner for a few minutes and then her friend ran up to me and shouted "SISI LERATO, HAPPY BIRFFDAY!"

Pretty sure that was the cutest thing ever. I love kids!

Walking home from school.
There's this song from the musical Carousel called "you'll never walk alone." It has never been so literally true than it is here in my village. Everyday I walk home from school with some random group of learners. On Tuesday I was walking from Moholeng (my big school) with about 15 grade one learners. They were fighting over who got to walk holding my hands. They were joking and saying "nye, nye sisi wa ka! ga sisi wa gago! No, no she's my sister, not your sister!" It was pretty funny. So I started playing with them and rubbing them on their heads when they'd do that. So of course they did it more so I'd rub all their heads. Finally I just stopped and chased them for a few minutes so I could catch them all. It was pretty fun.

Then we decided that walking was boring. So we started to sing the South African national anthem (if you haven't heard it, you must listen to it it's awesome! it's in 4 languages: Zulu, Xhosa, Afrikaans and English) and began marching and doing incredibly flamboyant arm movements. Ohhhh okay, who am I kidding. I started doing the arm movements and the kids copied me! Anyway, we passed this big group of old ladies chillin' under a tree. I didn't see them until we had passed, at which time they began to LAUGH. I mean, really, truly laugh at us! It was pretty great. So we performed for them for a few moments before marching on :).

Announcing an essay contest = being a rock star.
I am doing an essay contest for the students in grades 6 and 7 at Moholeng Primary. The essay contest is in conjunction with March 8th international Women's Day. I worked out the details of the project with the grade 6 and 7 English teachers and they decided that to truly get the children excited I should be the one to announce it to the classes. So, I did.

There are 210 learners in grades 6 and 7 at this school. They are divided into 4 different classrooms. I went into each of the classrooms with Mma Gae to introduce the idea. Each time I walked into a room the class ERUPTED! It was ridiculous! The learner's kept hushing each other so they could hear what I had to say. Too fun. I then talked up the contest and got them chanting and clapping as though we were at a rock concert.

"So, are you excited?"

"Aye, mma!"

"Sorry? I didn't hear you, I said ARE YOU EXCITED?"

"AAAAAYE, MMMMMMA!"

:)

In one of the classes the learners were fighting over who got to be closest to me. They sit on long benches and they kept cramming onto the benches in the front rows of the classes. So a small bench meant to hold 3 learners was crammed with 7-8 kids! It was hilarious. Again, I love children.

So, those are the three most recent happenings that I had to report. Things continue to get better and better at the schools. I absolutely love being there. The educators (for the most part) are absolutely AWESOME. And, clearly, the learners are top notch.

Oh! And a piece of great news. I am restarting the Girl's Club at Lekalake and I put up a sign-up sheet for educators who were willing to assist me in this project. Last year I only had one educator who was interested. This year I have SEVEN!!!! Yay! We are having our first meeting next week. I'm so excited.

Thanks for all the continued love and support. Hope you are all surviving your winter. I can't wait for mine!

1 comment:

katelyn marie. said...

dani! so so so amazing. i just read all the recent entries, and wow, so powerful. i am so grateful that you and jason are out there doing amazing things for the world. what an uplifting and inspiring experience. i hope one day i will be able to do something for the world the way you guys are, but until then i will work on the world around me. injustice is all around and there are so many barriers that can be broken down all around, even in my own community. thank you for being such a great example to all of us. our prayers are always with you both. peace and love.