Friday, August 8, 2008

Update...

Hi! Yep. Still lovin' it.

Updates:

Case load: 30 cases
Number of clients: 90!
Number of lunches had: 1
Number of hours of 'overtime:' too many to count :).

Anyway, I also found out today that I have two assistants. Wow. This is really humbling, I have assistants! They're amazing (two former refugees from Burma) and I'm really lucky!

Anyway, I am completely and totally hooked.

Was able to go to a movie, "The Devil Came on Horseback" last night at SLC library. Wow. Too sad. Made me want to jump up and down screaming at the US government: DO SOMETHING! DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fear too many people are 'darfur'd' out...well, the atrocities continue with a death toll over 400,000. It's just overwhelming.

Tonight I'm assisting one of my co-workers in taking 40 Bhutanese to the Hindu temple in Sandy. I'm incredibly excited. Should be quite educational!

Am in my new apartment by the way. It's cute and adorable and I LOVE IT. Very, very lucky to have found it!

Pretty sure that's it!

1 comment:

Pawley said...

I haven't seen this movie (I have added it to my Netflix instant queue though, so I'll have to wait until I am alone to watch -- to much for Barb).

I have watched 'War Dance' though -- about a similar, less known, situation in Northern Uganda, which spills over into Northern Kenya -- heartbreaking. You can watch this on Netflix too by the way.

I hope I can be forgiven a small personal insight: I don’t believe the U.S. has the resources to ‘police’ every human rights violation on the planet. We aren’t even qualified to do so (as you, Patrick, Jason, and Colby, have pointed out, we have been tarnished in the backlash of 911 and our over-reaction . . . i.e. Ghost Planes, and all). But I was surprised the other day, when in my Sunday School class (I’m a Gospel Doctrine Teacher) a person said “We are told in the scriptures that we are more wicked in our day than in these Book of Mormon days and here we read about women and children being thrown into fire at Ammonihah to be burned to death. I don’t see it. We don’t have such things in our world today”. And I wanted to scream out: ‘Wake UP! YES, WE DO! Read a little – watch PBS . . . watch Frontline (go to their website), watch the Lehr Report . . . PUT FORTH AN EFFORT TO FIND OUT!”

I know Colby is tired of my quoting Isaiah, so I won’t ;-) And I’ve quoted this from the book of Moses before . . . sorry. . . but The Lord destroyed the earth in Noah’s day because it was filled with violence:

Moses 8:30 “And God said unto Noah: The end of all flesh is come before me, for the earth is filled with violence, and behold I will destroy all flesh from off the earth.”

So, I watch; I bide my time; and perhaps, Lord willing, some day I can go on a mission with my wife, and we will teach The Gospel to someone, which in turn, if accepted, will change their heart away from violence. That’s The Lord’s way – turning one heart at a time, changing one person at a time, until that perfect day.