Thursday, January 31, 2008

Violence

Violence against PCVs in SA has intensified significantly in the past few months. For obvious reasons I cannot list details but we have had several serious happenings in the past few weeks that, frankly, have me freaked out.

During IST one volunteer was jumped for being an "n" word lover. A month ago a female PCV was strangled for her IPOD. Almost everyone has been mugged (some at knife point or other forms of serious physical violence). Most PCVs have at least had their cell phones stolen (fortunately we haven't made it into that category yet).

At our IST Peace Corps said, "Just plan on being mugged, that way, when it happens, it'll be less of a shock." Not "if" but "when." Fantastic news.

The tipping point came two weeks ago when a PCV was seriously sexually assaulted in Mpumalanga (rumor has it she was raped). She has been sent home for psychological counseling.

The purpose of me writing all this? To vent? Perhaps.

I am continually grateful for burglar bars, pepper spray and having a working relationship with the police in our village. I am also EXTREMELY grateful that I have Jason with me. I no longer go to the store alone at all EVER, nor do either of us venture outside after dark (not that we ever did that). This serves to be incredibly frustrating for me, needing to rely on my husband for security. But, it's a fact that we must face here in SA everyday...it's not always the safest place to be!

Fortunately, most of the crimes committed against PCVs have occurred in the Townships or in the big cities. Very rarely is there crime in the villages...so please, don't worry too much! Also, understand we're doing our utmost to be safe, not taking anything for granted. I dare say I'm gaining some fantastic street smarts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you guys have to worry about your collective safety. I can't understand why they'd want to hurt any of the PCVs. After all, you're there to help them.
You're very brave to work under such circumstance (not that I'm surprised - you've always shown an incredible courage and faith in others).

Please take care of yourself.