Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Malaria that wasn't....

So! What oh what a week! We went to Pretoria (which was a long, miserable trip through a torrential rainstorm)! I arrived and was sent to the hospital. Dr. #4 did some extra extensive testing and determined that I DON'T HAVE MALARIA!!! ... ???? ... then what the heck has been going on? I have been on Mefliquin (a malarial prophylaxes) aka "the weekly." The doc yanked me off of it and sent me home (to the backpacker in Pretoria). He said "I have a feeling that in 48 hours you are going to feel better." It took a bit longer than that, as the Mefliquin needed to fully leave my system, but once it did...woo hoo! Dani feels normal! So, Dr. #1 and #2 who treated me for Malaria actually did make me more sick...seeing as how I didn't need to be on Quanine at all. Fun, fun. :)

But, hooray for feeling better. It's fantastic. I have left Pretoria and am now at my first IST (in-service training) for Peace Corps. We are in a tiny town about 100k from Gaborone aka "Gabs" (the capitol of Botswana). It's always fun to see new parts of South Africa!

2 comments:

Patrick H. Neeley said...

Mephloquin isn't so bad. It's only a liver attacking poison. Did you get to enjoy any of the crazy vivid meph dreams?

For what it's worth, I've been swallowing the stuff weekly ever since May. Peace Corps says there are on long term side effects, do you think I believe them?

IST, eh? I feel your pain.

Hey, is it possible to get good deals, relative I suppose, on electronics in South Africa, or is there an insane VAT and added electronics duty like in Kenya (which seems short-sighted if you ask me).

Patrick H. Neeley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.