Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Vignettes of a lonely PCV :)

South Africa isn’t “Africa” and other such misconceptions.

As many of you know Jason and I were, at first, less than thrilled by our country assignment. “We aren’t going to get the typical African experience.” The fact of the matter is…there is no ‘typical’ African experience. Just as a person cannot say I want to go to Idaho to have a ‘typical American experience.’ Africa is far too diverse to ever have something be considered ‘typical.’ However, there are a few ‘stereotypes’ about Africa and that perceived ‘experience’ that we are able to have as parts of our everyday lives. The following are aspects of OUR African experience so far…

Roosters, donkeys, goats, cows, chickens, sheep and the occasional horse wonder free through the streets, yards, houses, schools and churches of every village I have seen thus far in rural S.A. Roosters are loud and really annoying at night as are donkeys. “Hee-haw” does not accurately describe a donkey’s brae, not even close! Consider it a mixture between a giant fog horn and someone with laryngitis screeching at the top of their lungs . I have learned how to share the dirt roads with the aforementioned livestock so as not to get kicked or have any other run-in with hooves or horns . This, to me, is very stereotypically Africa and I’m happy for it!

Greetings. Greetings are essential to integrating into any rural community in South Africa. You must greet everyone. We are told that it is part of the ‘spirit of ubuntu’ which is a Zulu word that means more or less ‘I am because of you, you because of me.’ The greetings themselves are a dance of words. In Setswana you greet by saying “Dumela” which means roughly “I see you.” The person you are greeting will respond with “O Kae?” which means “where are you?.” You respond by saying “Le kae, wena o kae” which means ‘I’m here, where are you?’’ “I’m here, thank you” is the response. It’s beautiful. The Zulu greetings are equally beautiful. “Saubona” or “hello” is the common greeting which in essence means “we are seeing you” referring to yourself and all your ancestors. Greeting is a part of South African culture which can try on ones patience especially when a twenty minute walk takes you an hour and a half. But, it’s essential to remember that to these people I am here because of them, and they because of me. It’s beautiful. I am afraid however that I will return home to the U.S. and be in the habit or greeting everyone. Imagine me walking down a street in New York saying “hello” to everyone. Boy will I be in trouble! 

The Bucket Bath. You never realize how much water you use in a day until you suddenly have none. Having no running water was, at first, a major adjustment. Everyday tasks like brushing ones teeth become major ordeals. Cooking and doing dishes are equally painful (especially if you have trouble cooking in the States!). Laundry suddenly equals the type of workout you get after a day at the gym. And bathing…the simple act of making oneself clean…is exhausting! I will now describe for you what we like to call… “The Art of the Bucket Bath.”

It’s windy in South Africa, especially in the Kalahari. And it’s sandy. And it’s hot. So after a few hours outside you are caked in a red mud-like crust from the mixture of dust, sand and sweat. Needless to say you can only go (or SHOULD only go) about 3 days without bathing . And when the mud, sand and dirt become unbearable it’s time for…the bucket bath!

Instructions:
Go outside and fetch bathing basin. Dimensions are approx: round, 8 inches deep and 2 feet wide.
Begin heating water in a black cauldron over the fire outside (or use your water boiler if the electricity happens to be on).
Wait.
Wait.
Wait.
Grab your chamber pot (the bucket that stays in your room at night for midnight potty emergencies) make sure you cleaned it really well after its last use.
Pour one or two small buckets of hot water into your chamber pot (depending on how hot it is outside) and mix it with one or two small buckets of cold water.
Pour into washing basin.
Be sure NOT to fill basin with more than two inches of water. This will make sense in a minute.
Test water.
If it’s still too hot you must wait.
Wait.
Wait.
Take off your clothes (hey, sometimes you forget and then you have a problem! Trust me).
Bend over bucket and stick your head in.
Use a cup or some water pouring device to wet all of the hair on your head. For example empty soda cans work great.
Do so quickly or your head will fill with blood and you’ll get a headache. 
Sit up.
Blindly reach for the shampoo (it’s best to place this by the bucket beforehand).
Squirt some into hands and rub into hair over bucket.
Be sure to scratch scalp thoroughly to get all the clumps of dirt out.
Bend back over bucket and use cup to get shampoo out of hair.
Be sure to get all shampoo out or you’ll have to bathe again tomorrow. 
Ring out hair (if long…like mine).
Blindly grab for towel to wrap around head so as not to get your floor too wet.
Wrap head.
Now sit in the bucket. Yep sit.
Wash the rest of your body (except your feet – save those for last) while sitting in the bucket.
Since the water is already dirty from your hair understand that you must use extra soap.
Use cup or pouring device to get your back and arm pits. Don’t be lazy, it’s important to wash those pits! 
Hurry because even in the summer it starts to get cold at this point.
When finished stand up, take towel off head and wrap around body as you’re likely to be shivering.
Now stand in bucket to wash lower legs and feet.
Be sure to scrub between the toes. Scrub hard or your feet will look stained with dirt.
Be careful not to slip and fall and tip over ones bucket because you are standing in really soapy slippery water .
Shake off feet and step out of bucket.
Put on clothes.
Pick up bucket, be careful not to slosh.
Maneuver outside and dump water onto a bush or tree that needs watering. Or onto a passing goat if you’re up for it .
Be careful when dumping water not to dump it on yourself. This tends to make a person very, very, very angry, because then your clean feet and legs are once again dirty! 
Leave bucket outside to dry.
Try your best not to get too dirty or you’ll have to do that again soon!

The Khombi Ride. Similar to many countries in the world the public taxi system in S. Africa is run by organized crime and as such is highly efficient. As PCVs we are not allowed to drive/own/operate any motorized vehicle (but we can rent cars for vacations). The owning and/or operating of livestock as a mode of transport is, however, permitted (as some of my fellow Northern Capers have received special permission to buy donkeys to enable them to roam freely in their desert wonderland). But for those of us who would rather not straddle a donkey to get to town we are left with one option: the khombi. Like most things all khombis are not created equally. I have ridden in khombis with plush padded bucket seats and an interior DVD player (playing “kulinyani” of COURSE ) replete with seat belts, I had ridden in khombis whose seats are covered in decaying plastic, and I have ridden in one khombi whose condition defies any other khombi, I believe, in the history of khombis. The following is my vignette entitled the Khombi Ride of Death (and destruction + horror )!

***(An honest but horrifying truth is S. Africa has a LOT of funerals every weekend. In our small training village of about 3,000 people there would be at LEAST three funerals/week. Unfortunately these funerals were not only commemorating the lives of the elderly or those fighting HIV/AIDS, at least one funeral a week commemorated a life of someone killed in an automobile accident. There was one weekend last month where there were four funerals simultaneously where the persons being commemorated had been killed in automobile accidents. Even one of our language facilitator’s brothers was struck by a vehicle and killed during training. It’s a harrowing fact that sets a grim stage for the following story which I feel I must now preface with the fact that: Peace Corps has taught us the warning signs of how to detect a faulty khombi, how to check the soberness of the driver, how to look for balding tires, etc.)***

Jason and I were leaving our training village’s shopping town on a late Saturday afternoon a few weeks back. We were in a hurry to beat the sun home to finish our laundry. We went to the hectic taxi rank and were shuffled onto a khombi. Shortly after climbing into our seats (which were at the VERY back in the corner) we realized we’d forgotten to use our Peace Corps tactics of ensuring the fact that our khombi was safe…whoops! We quickly noted that this particular khoombi’s seats were no better than plastic lawn chairs bolted to the rickety floor, a floor that had worn so thin in places we could nearly see the pavement below. The ceiling’s roll bars were decaying and sagging from the weight of the rust that was determined to eat through the structure before we arrived home. The roof itself was only battened down in a few places in the front and back allowing the middle to flop up and down at will with loud banging noises.

The khombi’s maximum occupancy was 15 so of course we crammed 20 people in the koloi along with all their bags and purchases. I was crammed against the back row’s side window as vendors selling their wares shoved items of interest through the open window into my face asking me to buy their sodas, watches, popcorn etc. Finally, we departed.

It wasn’t long before I noticed our driver seemed much more interested in the lady squashed up next to him than he was on the road. But Jason and I were busy explaining (once more) what Peace Corps was and why we were here in South Africa to a group of very friendly ladies crammed with us in the back of the koloi. A few more miles went by when all of a sudden there were shrieks from the front of the khombi and the driver swerved quickly to miss a drunk man who had decided to stagger across the road directly in front of our speeding vehicle of metal and bolts. The swerve was so violent it caused the khombi to go up on three wheels at which point I bashed my head on the ceiling. Hard! As I felt for blood the driver ground to a halt and swore at the man in his best Setswana and we all started to laugh. It wasn’t long before the khombi was once again speeding home along the potholed road.

This time however I focused more on what I could see of the road…perhaps I wanted to help the driver pay attention from my seat four rows behind…but it’s more likely it was my ‘control-freakiness’ kicking in. We had not traveled more than 5 minutes further when BAM! We hit something, and we hit it hard. Whatever we had hit had scared the driver who did what? Swerved, again. This time we were tipping so far over it seemed for sure we would plummet off the road. I once again was thrown up against the ceiling and smashed my head against a giant hinge breaking the skin and drawing blood. The car continued to tip from side to side as the bumper dislodged itself from the front and got stuck in the car’s undercarriage. Thus in a spray of sparks and blood we ground to a halt on the side of the road. Looking behind us it became clear that we had hit a goat. Although ‘hit’ wasn’t exactly the best word to describe the goat’s condition, in truth we EXPLODED a goat. I’ll leave it at that. Furthermore the bumper was completely gone and the passenger door had imploded from the force of the impact. We all piled out of the khombi. Many women were crying because of the fear that grips this country regarding car accidents. I felt like whomping the driver for not paying attention. Instead I stood stubbornly on the side of the road and REFUSED to get back on the khombi of death! After several minutes of waiting for another khombi to pick me up I was persuaded to get back on the speeding tin can and finished my journey. I did so reluctantly…

Rumors spread around the other PCVs that someone’s khombi had tipped over etc., etc. so needless to say we had a great time explaining to everyone exactly what had happened and the fact that the Peace Corps was right…pay attention to the condition your khombi is in…pay close attention!

Oh, and in case it isn’t clear, we survived .

Spiders, roaches and other creepy crawlies that go bump in the night.

I was fast asleep, curled up in my bed, dreaming. Suddenly I am wakened by the sound of someone wrestling with the sheets and practically jumping out of bed. Opening my eyes I saw Jason crouched on all fours with his head lamp on his head staring at the wall. There was more wrestling of sheets as he began frantically beating at the wall. It was then that I knew…the spiders had returned!

The spiders here are huge. And if they’re not huge they’re hairy…with long legs. And they’re all quick. And apparently they all like to drop from the ceiling onto the beds of those sleeping below and torment them in the night. Such was the case on this fateful night.

I was so scared of the creepy crawlies I curled up in a little ball at the foot of the bed, under the covers and waited. In the meantime Jason was accosted by several cockroaches who had decided to run across his feet while he dangled them off the foot of the bed as he was sitting contemplating what to do about the spiders. His frantic rapid leg movements were all I could handle. I burst into tears jumped up, grabbing my blanket and pillow and ran into the family common area. I curled up in a little arm chair (after inspecting all the walls in that room) and tried to sleep. It didn’t work well for every tickle of my hair against my arm would make me sit bolt right up in bed sure the big ones were attacking.

Meanwhile back in our room Jason sprayed nearly an entire bottle of DOOM! the spider and roach killer of wonder and delight. Many spiders continued to fall onto the bed that night…only this time…they were dead! Dun, dun, dun.

Unfortunately this was only one of what I am sure will be many nights of arachnophobia, and unfortunately we have already seen spiders bigger than those horrifying ones. But don’t worry we have stocked up on DOOM! and are ready to take action against the eight legged invaders if we must.

Oh and as a side note…another problem with no running water is…the pit toilet. Let’s just say giant cockroaches live inside the pit toilet and like to crawl back in even when you’re trying to use said pit toilet. These roaches are the size of Jason’s palm. Jason has big hands. Enough said, it’s terrifying!

Lekgoa.

Jason and I are often called out to front children playing in their yards as we pass by on the roads. “Dumela! Dumela!” their little voices ring out. We will turn and wave and they will run away giggling. However, as our language improved we began to notice another word thrown in with the tiny voiced ‘dumelas’ and that was ‘lekgoa.’ Lekgoa means whitey.

My reaction to learning this word and suddenly noticing how many times/day I am referred to as ‘Lekgoa’ was surprising. It has begun to hurt my feelings. However, those calling me lekgoa have no malicious intent (on the whole) and as such I cannot be angry at them, especially the children. But I am still bothered by it. Having had time to contemplate this issue I have concluded the following.

South Africa has been divided into skin color classifications for the last half a century. During apartheid people were required to carry a “Dom Pass” or dumb pass in English. Not unlike Hitler’s Germany, South Africa was classified as Black, White, Indian, Coloured, or ‘Other’ and certain rights and privileges (or the lack thereof) were attached to each category And while apartheid ended some 13 years ago the demographics of the living arrangements in the rural areas still reflects the apartheid era. I live in a ‘black’ village where I and Jason are the only white faces for miles and miles. If I decide to go into my shopping town I must first pass through a township. This is where the ‘coloureds’ and Indians live acting as a buffer between the ‘blacks’ and town. Then I will traverse through the white area with houses that can compete with those seen in Hollywood movies finally arriving in the town where I am one white person in a sea of others and once again seeing black faces on the main roads is somewhat of an oddity.

Thus, while ‘apartheid’ has ended in the sense that Dom Passes do not exist and blacks can vote, another form of apartheid still grips this country by the throat threatening to strangle at any moment: economic apartheid. South Africa is a wealthy nation and has a voice on the world’s stage – yet the legs upon which the nation stands…the miners etc. are living in 3rd world squalor being exploited economically. Everyone is aware of it. So while South Africa touts mottos like “a rainbow nation” etc. it still does very little to include the backbone of the nation in its economic prosperity. This is very difficult for me to accept.

Thus, regardless of how much I dislike being classified by my race, ‘lekgoa!’ ‘lekgoa!’ by being classified I become more South African, for they are all still divided by race regardless of BEE or other attempts at ‘affirmative action.’

Even so I try to do my part by approaching the groups of children, or adults, who insist on addressing me as ‘lekgoa.’ I get down on my knees so I can look the children in the eye and I say “Ga ke lekgoa, ke nna Lerato.” I’m not ‘lekgoa/whitey,’ I am Lerato. And so far it has worked, every time. The children will giggle and begin to call me by my African name, Lerato, and the adults will blush and say “oh of course! Hello Lerato!” and that’s that. If only it were easier to be color blind!

Meswe.

I had an experience the other day that broke my heart. I was walking home from training on my usual route. Along my way I ran into a little group of girls that live in my ‘neighborhood’ with whom I’d become friends. Three of them were playing in a rare puddle taking turns trying to jump over it. They were barefoot and it looked as though a few of them hadn’t quite made it over the puddle and thus their play clothes were covered in mud and sand. When I saw them they rushed up to greet me, grabbing my hands with their cold muddy fingers.

We began walking home together speaking to one another in broken Setswana (well, mine was broken at least ). A few feet into our walk one little girl pointed at me and say “O bontle” which means ‘You’re beautiful’ as lots of little girls say this to me (they really tend to like my straight hair) I replied with my wrote response of,

“Ke a leboga, wena o bontle thata!” which means ‘ thank you, you are also very beautiful!’

This little girl was stubborn though. She looked me straight in the eye and said honestly,

“Eh, eh, ke meswe, o bontle.” ‘No, no I’m dirty/ugly, you’re beautiful.’

As meswe can mean both dirty and ugly I decided to probe further. I pointed at my sandal clad feet which were also caked in dirt and mud.

“Bona, ke meswe thata!” ‘look I’m dirty too!’

The little girl looked at me and persisted,

“Eh, eh, o bontle, ke meswe!” This time she pointed at my arm and then placed her arm (which was a rich shade of chocolate brown) next to mine. She looked at me pointedly as if now it should be obvious, I was beautiful because my skin was white, she was ugly because her skin was brown.

I was horrified. I got down on my knees in the dirt and pulled the little girl close to me. Her friends crowded in. I whispered to them in Setswana,

“Please don’t say that I am beautiful because I’m white, when you say that I want to cry. Look, look at your skin, look at how beautiful the color is! We are both beautiful, it doesn’t matter what color we are.”

The girls liked the fact that I was whispering, perhaps they felt that they were in on a secret. However, the little persistent child whispered back to me,

“We are ugly, though,” and skipped away back to the puddle to play.

I have never felt pain like I felt at that moment. Having grown up, more or less colorblind (or clueless, take your pick) I am not accustomed to being ‘grouped’ or classified or given such outright privilege because of the shade or hue of my skin. It’s unfair and it hurts. Not in the way it would hurt to be discriminated, of course, but it’s humiliating to be given privilege for no reason other than I happened to have white ancestry. There is nothing different between a seven year old me and those little girls playing in the mud on the inside – but because of what’s on the outside they will never have the same opportunities I have had, and it hurts to realize that.

3 comments:

Patrick H. Neeley said...

I can remember it very clearly, just as you recount in you blog: "We just don't want South Africa, it's not the real Africa!"

Well, I'm glad you've been proven incorrect.

If I remember correctly, you said you don't live in a malarial area. But I'm tellin you, keeping out mosquitoes is only a fraction of the true purpose of a mosquito net. It's an impenetrable force-field that protects against all bugs big and small, and I fear I will be unable to sleep without one on my return to the states. Maybe you two should invest in one.

You wouldn't believe how happy it makes me to read both of your blogs. I can hear both of your voices as I read along. And I can very much relate to much (actually, all) of what you have to say. I'm looking forward to hearing more!

You're both an inspiration to me.

Patrick

P.S. You're right, Dani. Your blog is better than Jason's :) jk!

Bazzle said...

Dani, those stories are so touching. I'm glad you are surviving (even on those methods of transportation that are frightening at best...)! Love and miss you both!

Neil said...

Long day at work... so I was reading through your blog. The whole bucket bath thing is hilarious! When I was in Honduras we finally got tired of the bucket bath and went MacGyver style and rigged a system on the roof of our house, connected it to a home made electric water heater from a light socket to heat it, and had a makeshift warm shower. The only problem was every once in a while it would short out and zap you while you showered. It was so funny. Every so often you would hear a scream from the shower when someone got zapped. It probably wasnt the smartest idea ever but in between electrocutions you got a warm shower.