Thursday, September 27, 2007

Rain, Thunder, Lightning on a Hot Tin Roof

Literally! Yesterday evening Jason and I decided to go for a run out onto a gorgeous path in the desert. We were absolutely loving life...we watched the sunset over the scrub brush, sand dunes, and baobab trees in what could have reveled the best theatrical stage lightning on earth. The sun really does set blood read along the horizon and it looks absolutely HUGE. Unearthly. It was literally breath taking just Jason and I + lots of sand and a few stray donkeys. Life is great!

Well, it wasn't long before we started hearing some thunder in the distance, then lightning. We decided it was time to head home! No sooner did we turn around then those clouds started chasing us home! By the time we returned to our brick/mud/and tin roofed hut the clouds were upon us and the wind had picked up sending sand flying in all directions. Our neighbors were running around frantically trying to collect laundry, find candles and batton down the hatches for the approaching storm. We were SO excited!

I, in true Grigsby fashion, opened all the curtains and turned off all the lights to sit in front of the window and watch the storm! The rain started...and boy oh boy you have NEVER really experienced torrential rain until it's been pelted at you from above onto a corrugated tin roof! It was so loud I couldn't hear Jason speaking right next to me. Then the lightning was just incredible and the thunder was nearly constant. It reminded me of my childhood in North Dakota...watching the thunder and lightning storms from the comfort of our livingroom with my dad! Or, you know, those times we weren't supposed to tell mom about when we walked out into the middle of the fields to get an unobscured view of the lightning! :) hehehe. Love you dad!

Anyway, it was the most amazing night. The lightning eventually kicked the power out so we climbed under the covers and read our Russian spy novel by candle light as the rain pounded on our roof. It literally sounds like you're inside your car in a car wash...it's that loud.

Well, it's some 13-14 hours later and the storm hasn't stopped. Our sand/dirt yard is one giant puddle and our hut is FREEZING. We're DOWNING the hot chocolate sent by my WONDERFUL grandma! I love you grammy, thank you SO much! The Cocoa is the only respite from the cold!

Looks like the rainy season is upon us. It's fun for now, at least :).

2 comments:

Patrick H. Neeley said...

You'll get used to it. As per some of my previous posts, I've been caught many times by thunderstorms as I walk home, and once been forced to walk home because of one. The rains are slowing on my end, which means you can no longer walk by my house at 3 in the morning and see me dashing around the yard in my underwear carrying basins in an attempt to collect as much rainwater as possible.

I'm glad you are both enjoying yourselves. Being at site is ten million times better than being at training, isn't it?!

MysticWanderer said...

Bahai in South Africa? You guys should sometime, Bahai is so cool. Then again, I think all religions are cool (at least initially)so...maybe don't listen to me. I'm glad to read your posts. I knew when you guys left that you would see some of the remnants of apartheid, but I didn't think those remnants would be nearly so pervasive or as apparent as you describe. My heart broke when I read about your encounter with the little girl.