Friday, May 23, 2008

'Home'?

Jason and I arrived back in the States 6 days ago. In our Peace Corps training we had been warned of the reversed culture shock one would experience upon returning to the US. Like most things I learned in PC training I simply brushed it aside. I'd lived overseas before, had the whole "holy crud" experience upon returning home etc etc. How could this be different?

In many ways it isn't much different than my first time returning to the States, but it differs in as many ways as it is similar.

It seems as though time here has stopped altogether. Nothing seems entirely different (yes there are more houses in certain neighborhoods, or different stores etc) but yet, nothing is entirely familiar. I pass by places I've known since I was 15 and it feels as though I'm in a dream. The world I've been living in this past year is so far removed from the world I call 'home' that, upon returning 'home,' I find myself thinking "was this last year simply an illusion?"

I see no signs in this universe I call 'home' that indicate that the universe I inhabited in Africa even exists.

It's a frightening feeling. The cliche "it's a small world after all" is true in the sense that you can navigate the earth in less than 3 days via air, but it holds no truth in terms of the various cultures and peoples that inhabit this planet. As mentioned, the things I've seen and experienced are so different than this the 'western world' they might as well inhabit a different world.

That's not to say that anything here is inherently 'wrong' or 'bad.' Instead I say it to emphasize how important it is for us, as westerners, not to assume we understand the struggles of those in the far reaching areas of the "third world." It can be no more easily comprehended without experiencing it as 'Martian' being a mutually intelligible language to English.

My point? I probably don't have one.

It just seems the more I see of the world the less I feel at 'home' in the US. Instead I'm juxtaposed against my upbringing and what I'm experiencing and in doing so I'm finding I don't completely fit in either 'universe.'

7 comments:

Pawley said...

A 'Stranger In A Strange Land' . . . Robert Heinlein . . . about an earth boy, raised as a Martian, but repatriated back to Earth. :-)

I assume that title comes from Exodus 2:22 "And she bare him a son, and he called his name Gershom: for he said, I have been a stranger in a strange land."

This feeling you have, I have experienced many times . . . at least I think it is the same feeling? . . . A stranger in a strange land. I felt it strongly when I went to Japan on my mission for the church these many long years ago, and even more strongly on my return. But it is not just associated with traveling. Sometimes the journey takes place when you are physically standing still. I remember I felt it most strongly when my wife and I went to the doctors office together some 9 months and a little more after our marriage. "Congratulations, he said, you are going to have a baby" . . . I felt a strange feeling then . . . happy? Yes, but mostly scared. The earth reeled, the sky seemed a different color, and once familiar streets altered . . . and I was reminded that I was a 'stranger in a strange land'.

Alma 26:36 “. . . blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land”

But then we are really all -- all of us -- away from home, at school . . . wandering to and fro. Some day we will return home with degree in hand, studies done, to go ‘no more out again’. :-)

Melissa said...

Dani,

Hi, I am Patrick's sister... This might be a harebrained idea but, my family would love to have you and Jason over for dinner sometime while you are back in Utah. We'd love to hear about your experience in Africa and your future in Moscow. (Oh, and we promise not to ask you uninterested and uniformed questions such as 'how was it'... well, at least Pawley won't.) We understand you have much to do in the next month and completely understand if you just don't have the time.

But, if the two of you are interested email me at trevnmel@comcast.net or Pawley at psneely@xmission.com. :-)

Melissa

Neil said...

Dani! Welcome home. Kind of strange eh? I know the feeling. I just got back from my central america expedition last night. It always feels strange coming back... Hope you guys are still planning a trip out to DC we'd love to see you both and hear all the stories. Hope all is well!

-Dani said...

Is it weird to comment on your own blog? Perhaps...

It must be said: Pawley, aka Mr. Neeley, aka Patrick's dad :) - I thuroughly enjoy your comments. I am looking forward to sitting down and picking your brain! Thank you for your willingness to share your experiences and opinions, your style is really insightful!

Todd and Melissa Titensor said...

Dani,

This is Melissa Titensor, use to be Jackson. I stumbled across your blog today and just sat there and read about of the things that you have experienced. It had a special impact on me because my little brother just returned home from South Africa on his mission. He told my dad when he got home that is was hard to call Garland "home" after being in South Africa for two years. What are your plans now?

Love and prayers ALWAYS,
Meliss

Anonymous said...

Welcome back you two. Hope you enjoy your brief time in the States before you're redeployed (?) to Russia. Have fun trying to re-familiarize yourself with "home."

The Babinskys said...

Dani,
Jestina told me about your blog. I'm glad I found it. I know we've never really had a chance to hang out a lot but I've always felt like I had a lot in common with you. It's been fun reading abou your experiences. What a couple. You guys are great. By the way I don't think it's such a bad thing to not feel "at home" I think you will always have a desire to change people's lives for the better if we don't get comfortable. You are a great example. Hope I see you sometime soon.